Snow...frigid temps....teeth chattering....more snow...

I love winter. Mostly I love sweaters, hats, and cute boots. And fuzzy socks that make my toes feel cozy. I love snow, too. Snow is so pure. Everything looks clean and new when covered by a fresh snowfall. Even on the darkest days everything looks freshly washed with a new covering of snow.

I remember really loving snow as a kid. We lived on a hill and the sledding around our house was amazing! Since we lived in the not-so-inhabited country on a dead-end street, we could sled on the farm road on the grand hills leading up to our neighborhood. You could really pick up some serious speed, especially in the right kind of snow. The best snows were the ones that started out wet and heavy and ended with a fluffy dusting on top. The sled runners slid nicely through the dense snow on the bottom, but if you crash landed, the fluffy snow made for a cushy landing. My dad would always go with us..."for safety" (I think he liked sledding even more than we did). He would usually bear the brunt of pulling our sled back up the big hill so we could go again. Mom would wait at home with hot cocoa with just the right amount of marshmallows on top. My feet and hands would be so cold! We would all sit by the fire, grasping our hot cocoa to warm our hands, recounting the tales of our sledding adventures.

The best thing about snow is snow days. Even as an adult. I worked in schools for ten years of my adult life. There is nothing like the joy of getting the call from someone on the snow day calling tree telling you to sleep in, enjoy the day off and be safe. That was never enough, though. I loved seeing my school's name scroll across the bottom of the television screen with all the other school closings. It makes it seem more official to see it on TV.

But....I am ready for the snow to be over. Last year, I moved to Minnesota on December 1st and it snowed. A lot. And was amazingly, hideously cold. Most of the time. We moved back to Missouri this year partly to escape the harshness of another Minnesota winter. Before I left at the end of October, Minnesota had already given me three different snowfalls. Now that I'm here, Missouri has seen fit to bring us a particularly unpleasant winter. I feel like I am in Minnesota all over again. I am ready for spring. I'm ready for the trees to start budding. I'm ready to mow my lawn. And plant flowers. And feel the warmth of sunshine. I am ready to smell honey-suckle on the breeze and go for long evening walks in the ever-lengthening days. I love the color green and I am ready to see the world turn green again.

I am thankful for all the seasons and thrilled I live in a place where I get to experience them all. I love the snows and sweaters of winter. I appreciate the activities that can only be done in the heat of summer. I love the colors that autumn trees wear. And I adore the happy green-ness of spring. What is your favorite season? Why? What do you love about it?

Comments

Popular Posts