Hiding out behind the canned veggies

I am making a confession to you, the world wide web, but I don't want you to tell my children...not until they are much older.

I hide food. Not just any food....good food. I hide pints of Ben & Jerry's ice cream in the freezer behind the frozen vegetables. And I hide fair trade chocolate in the pantry behind the cleaning supplies and canned goods. I keep a stash of treats in my desk at work and enjoy them before I come home. I sometimes hide in the pantry and snack on a few bites of junk food, pretending that I'm doing chores instead. When the girls have sleepovers at friend's houses, my husband and I sometimes go to the frozen custard place. For dinner.

Does that make me a bad parent?

My rationale is that I want the girls to be healthy. I want them to have good eating habits. I want them not to be hyperactive or overweight. So, I encourage healthy eating and, for the most part, I eat pretty healthy right along with them. But sometimes a girl just wants to have a piece of chocolate without having to explain herself.

There you have it. There's my confession. Keep your judgmental comments to yourself because we all have our issues and this one is mine.

Comments

Popular Posts