I confess, I'm guilty of coveting...

For Mother's Day, my mom and I went on a homes tour in the Rountree neighborhood. For those of you not familiar with the Rountree neighborhood, its the neighborhood where all the yuppies live...all cute older homes in styles with names like "bungalow", "cottage", "Cape Cod" or "Colonial"...homes with lots of special details like hardwood floors, built-in bookshelves, claw-footed bathtubs, and gorgeous fireplaces with custom mantles. I think my profile says something about my desire to someday live in a house with a face. Several of the homes in the Rountree neighborhood have a face -- two dormer windows for eyes and the front door set in the middle so the overall effect looks like that old-school Disney cartoon where the houses had a face. Well, I now need to append my dream house description, the "Miracle on 34th Street" description of what I will someday tell Santa if I ever meet him for real. In addition to the house having a face, I also want there to be a set of stairs that greets you at the front door and I want a second set of stairs to come down into the kitchen. I want interesting details like built-in bookshelves in the living room and a built-in buffet in the dining room. I want french doors leading in to the master bedroom. I want a shower that feels like warm rain falling on my head. I want at least one room that is painted Happy Green. I want a screened in porch that feels like the spot you want to spend the rest of your life. I want a porch swing with colorful pillows on it, inviting you to sit a spell and drink sweet tea or fresh-squeezed lemonade. Anyone want to make a $200,000 donation toward this dream? Or maybe you know the real Santa Claus and are willing to introduce me?

Comments

Popular Posts