Reasons for leaving

I believe God places people in positions of authority and we are commanded to respect the authority figures in our life for this reason. Whether secular or religious positions, government, business or private settings; the position of authority over us should be treated with dignity. Recently, I called into question the manner in which one of my authority figures was making a decision. The implications of the decision were huge and the long, often confusing wait for resolution has left my future uncertain. In my frustration, stress and uncertainty, I vocalized my thoughts in a way that showed doubt toward the person making the decision and ultimately made her feel disrespected. While it wasn’t my intent to hurt her feelings, especially in any public manner, I unfortunately chose a forum that wasn’t entirely private to discuss my thoughts with a trusted friend. I have apologized to the people involved and regret my actions. Our words need to be chosen carefully. We should use our words to encourage, uplift, exhort and put people at ease. Instead, we so often use our words in a way that leaves people wondering where they stand, feeling like they don’t matter, or feeling disrespected and hurt.

The process my husband and I have gone through for the past two months has led to much discussion of our future and the direction we should take. The uncertainty of this decision and the weighty implications attached to it have caused us to look at all our options. Much introspection has followed these long weeks of waiting and the decision to leave NCA to pursue other ministry options has been considered with increasing thought and prayer. Much has gone into this decision. While we realize the implications of our leaving NCA and how others will be at least temporarily affected, we also realize that we need to minister in a place where we can both be truly effective.

I will terribly miss NCA and, particularly, the people in it. So many wonderful memories have been made in the past six years. When I took the job in 2002, I wondered just what I had gotten myself into. Soon, I began making connections and memories that I still cherish today. There are my precious Drama Lovelies and our productions. My little ducklings. My fake husband, our fake lunch dates and fake anniversaries. There’s mattress surfing and tenting on retreats. There was fake matchmaking and the Newlywed game in Bible. Canoeing with girls who are afraid of snakes. Having an endless string of offers from parents, students and school cooks to fix me up with their uncles, brothers, sons, youth pastors and milkmen. Sweet tea and Texas sheet cake (“Tina Day”). OSU Orange. Getting engaged in the gym. Geckos in Belize. Praying with hurting students who have shared their burdens. MU vs. KU. Using “Talladega Nights” in a chapel talk. Teambuilding games involving Spam, mashed potatoes, caramel onions and pudding in diapers. Most importantly I will never forget the people who love me and have become an extended family I’ve chosen for myself.

For those of you who remain at NCA, I’d like to offer you a challenge. Make the most of where ever God places you. For now, He has placed you at NCA. Learn, seek, listen and someday you will look back and be grateful for all the things you take away from it all. Regardless of how good or bad it seems to you in the moment, seek to squeeze all the wisdom and knowledge you can out of these years. Life offers many opportunities -- some draw you closer to God’s will and others drag you away when you aren’t guarding carefully. Be careful not to foster a heart of apathy, resentment, bitterness or rebellion because those attitudes will become a prison that robs you of joy and blessing. Most importantly, don’t waste a moment or a word on something you’ll regret later. Choose carefully and thoughtfully even in the little stuff. Meditate upon Galatians 5:16 - 6:10 and you’ll go far. I’ll miss you all!

Comments

Popular Posts