Missing Minnesota....maybe?

Lately, I have found myself homesick for a place I called home for only 11 months. I miss the Twin Cities. I keep dreaming about visiting my Minnesota haunts: Bad Waitress, Raising Cane's, Izzy's Ice Cream, Minnehaha Falls, Urban Refuge, and all the rest. I miss the hustle and bustle of the big city and I miss that within 30 minutes of driving I could escape to any one of its 10,000 beautiful lakes. There were so many great little neighborhood nooks and endless possibilities for adventure to be had in the Cities. I miss the Mall of America with it's cheap mid-week movies and Ragstock shopping.

But, as I watch the Vikings play the Bears at the open air University of Minnesota football stadium, I realize what I do NOT miss about Minnesota....the bitter cold days. My dreams of visiting the Twin Cities are brought to a screeching halt as I remember the Vikings game I worked on a brisk 10 degree day. I shudder as I recall the day it snowed six inches during the workday and I had to ride public transit home for over an hour followed by the two-block hike to the house while the snow pounded into my face. Goosebumps appear on my arms as I reminisce about shoveling snow off the sidewalks. These memories are the ones that makes me happy to be further south this winter. Minnesota, you enjoy your snow and I'll enjoy some relatively balmy 30 degree weather this winter. Maybe when your lovely, temperate summer climates return, so will I.

Comments

Popular Posts