Lent Sacrifice

As the wife of a United Methodist pastor, I am celebrating Lent for the first time in my life. I grew up in a church that didn't celebrate Lent and until recently, I thought only Catholics practiced Lent. This year I gave up Facebook statuses. For most of you, this sounds like a pretty frivolous sacrifice. But, I get a lot out of updating my status with witty, sarcastic, irreverent comments meant to solicit reactions from my friends. Some statuses are in response to what I'm watching on television (like "The Bachelor" or "American Idol"). Other statuses refer to my passionate love of pajamas or deep hatred of Mondays. Whatever the topic, I get a lot of satisfaction over finding just the right combination of words to put something out there that is worthy of a chuckle or even a "like". I've got about 20 days left at this point and I'm having some serious withdrawal. So, I will blog a few of the things I have been unable to say for the past several days of status fasting: * American Idol's country crooner Scott McCreary looks like Alfred E. Newman from Mad Magazine. And it kind of freaks me out. * Frank Haith? Really Mizzou? What, did my dead grandma turn you down for the job so you offered it to the next best basketball coach? * I love me some pajamas. If I could wear pajamas all the time, I probably would. * (This would have been my status the day I had to go back to work after our vacation to Minnesota). Missouri....or should I say "Misery". The weather was so lovely in Minnesota and I come back to this?! Snow and sleet?! Blargh! * Cadbury Mini Eggs = my favorite part of Springtime. * Joplin: Why don't you have Raising Cane's, Bad Waitress, Izzy's, Ragstock, Home Goods, IKEA or Target Salvation Army? You could be such a better town with any of those places. * Wanted: A job where I can (a) sleep until at least 8 a.m. (b) be creatively utilized, (c) wear pajamas some or all of the time, (d) have a paycheck that supports all my habits (like bill paying) and (e) have plenty of time to pursue my non-job interests. That's not too much to ask, right? * Mondays! Blargh! * I Heart Pajamas! That about sumes it up. Actually, there have been lots of things I wanted to comment on and couldn't and by Easter Sunday I'm sure there will be plenty of other things I'll have to keep to myself. For now, some of the pent up statuses have been released through this blog and I think I can make it a little longer.

Comments

Popular Posts