My best friend….

My best friend has a receding hairline, a decent amount of facial hair and a borderline-unhealthy affinity for tennis shoes. My best friend is a guy, whom I like to call "my husband".

Not every woman can claim honestly that her husband is her best friend. Oh, they might say it out loud, as if to brag that "her man" is her bestie. But when it comes right down to it, they treat their sister or girlfriend as her real best friend. They know her secrets. They are the ones she goes out for coffee with. They are the ones who share the inside jokes.

But, I have been truly blessed in the husband department because I can say with 100% certainty that I would prefer to spend time with my husband more than any other human being. He's the one I like to hang out with and laugh with and know secrets with and with whom I share inside jokes. I love being able to look at him with "that look" and see the knowing grin cross his face. An unspoken joke that only he gets. I love that he knows what I like to order at my favorite frozen custard place. Or that he and I can simultaneously bust out the same random song lyrics that fit the moment.

This week my best friend has been gone on a mission trip to another country. It has been a really long week. So many times I have thought "Oh, I should tell him….." or "He would think this is so funny, I wish he was here…."

Life just feels better when he is around. I miss him singing. And the curse words he sneaks into conversations when we are alone, just to make me laugh. Oh, and I miss the way he makes even mundane tasks seem like fun.

My BFF is coming home in two days and I can hardly wait.

Comments

Popular Posts