What it means when I say I'm a "Christian"

I would describe myself as a Christian. To me that label means that I am a follower of Jesus Christ, a real man who lived 2000 years ago and who was the son of God. His life, ministry, death, resurrection, and lasting influence are documented in the portion of the Bible we call the New Testament. There are a lot of societal expectations of what it means to be a "Christian" and not all of them are accurate expectations for me or any other follower of Jesus. Here's what it means for me: 

First, I'm not perfect. I follow Jesus and try to be like him, but I often fail miserably. I will continue to be a screw-up so long as I live on earth. I'm quick to anger, sometimes snap at my kids, and I have a few "go to" curse words I use. I'm still an INTJ, which means I sometimes think I'm more right more of the time than other people are -- and I'm not always sugary-sweet about it. I have a lot of other flaws: too many to detail here, although many of you probably already know what they are.

Second, being a Christian has nothing to do with my political beliefs. There are some who think that Christians are all Republicans (Hint: We aren't). I am pro-life because I think life begins at conception and that babies who have been conceived deserve a chance at life (which is why I think we need good contraceptive options and lots of training for folks to prevent unplanned pregnancies and why I think adoption is so vital). But I'm not just pro-birth. I'm pro-life for all of life. Jesus came so that we might live abundantly. He doesn't want any of us to live in Hell-on-earth. That means I am mostly opposed to guns, violent video games, militarized police, death penalty, and war because I don't believe God designed us to kill each other. I'm also very opposed to greed that puts money/resources ahead of the rights or needs of other human beings. And I worry that success is measured in the very things that put greed on a pedestal. That means I don't agree with political policies that over-emphasize wealth over the needs of vulnerable people.

Finally, I realize that I don't have it all figured out -- and neither does anyone else. Anyone who thinks they have a 100% handle on God's nature and God's will is wrong. We are human beings and can never grasp the totality of God who is far beyond our limited understanding. That's why it is so important to keep learning though through reading, listening, praying, pondering grappling, and wrestling with the Spirit. And to be humble in our approach to others who are wrestling with their understanding of God.

Comments

Popular Posts