Clearing the clutter

Periodically I go through a de-cluttering process in the house. I think about the items in the house and whether they are worth the space they take up in our life. I consider our past moves from one house to another or one city to another and then I think about whether or not the stuff we own would be worth hauling in a box to a different city if we had to move. The answer is too often "no".

How did we accumulate so much? We don't have an excessive amount of money, so we're not frivolously buying things all the time. And, yet, the quantity of stuff we possess has grown ridiculously in the six years we have been married. Do our belongings multiply while we're sleeping? Is our house so happy that other people's junk runs away to move into our garage, shed and closets? Where did it all come from? And if we're not using it, why is it still here? All I can say is that Goodwill is about to get lucky, because I'm in a mood to clear out the clutter.

My life is like that. I have clutter inside my mind. I accumulate unhealthy thoughts and ideas and they take up valuable space inside my brain. Selfishness, criticism, fear, and unhealthy self-reliance are like all those boxes that have found their way into my closet. I'd like to clear out the clutter in my mind and send those items to Goodwill, too. I need to make room for love, peace, patience, joy and all the rest. Maybe when I de-clutter my home I'll symbolically label the boxes with the mind-clutter that needs to be thrown away. I'll have clean shelves and a fresh mind when the process is finished.

Comments

Popular Posts