Love means...

A few years ago I went through a phase of watching classic movies. I had this lofty goal to watch all of the American Film Institute's (AFI) top 100 romantic films. I didn't make it to my goal. Maybe someday...so long as I don't have to sit through a few of the films like "Gone with the Wind" (don't judge me). "Love Story" is number nine on AFI's list and one of my early choices.

While I enjoyed most of the film, I was disappointed in the film's classic line "Love means never having to say you're sorry." What does that even mean? Does it mean that if you really love someone you never make mistakes? That you never hurt each other, because you love each other so much? Does true love mean you give each other the benefit of the doubt to the point that you never assume the other person intends to wrong you intentionally? Maybe "love means never having to say you're sorry" actually means that true love doesn't require humility -- you don't need them to admit their mistakes because you love them too much to require such an embarrassment.

In any event, I think the quote is a crock of B.S. I'm very happily married and I would never dream of not saying "I'm sorry" to my husband. I'm not perfect and I don't imagine I'm going to attain perfection anytime soon. Sometimes my mistakes spill over and affect him. Sometimes they are directed straight at him, like the crosshairs of a missile launcher. My sarcasm, bad moods, harsh tongue, poor choices, and selfishness very often require me to be the first to offer an apology, even when I'd really like to just get in the last word. Sometimes, even when I'm not in the wrong, a well-timed apology offered in humility can solve a world of hurt and avoid an ugly dispute. I think the better quote would be "Love means being the first to say you're sorry."

Comments

Popular Posts