What just happened???

I'm 42.

What's worse, I've discovered that I am just as old as those people I thought were older than me. A lot older.

When did that happen?!

Lots of people my age seem so mature and grown-up. They have children who are full-fledged adults. Some of them even have grandchildren. If I hadn't waited so long to get married then I, too, could be a grandparent. I used to think that the only people my age who had grandchildren were the ones who got pregnant in high school and then had kids who also got pregnant in high school. But that's not the case anymore. There are people my age who got married and had kids and now their kids are old enough to be married with children. I don't feel old enough or mature enough for that to be possible!

Those of you reading this might find me ridiculous, but this revelation has boggled my mind lately.

Just this week I was talking with a co-worker who I thought was older than me....but she graduated just one year ahead of me. And then there's that other co-worker seems so much more mature than me, but she and I are exactly the same age. When problems arise, I start looking around for a grown-up to handle it...and then I realize the grown-up is me! When did that happen?

Mentally I'm still in my early 30's. I don't want to be in my 40's with a slow metabolism, worrying about things like blood pressure and cholesterol. I want to be planing my next adventure, not worrying about paying off my mortgage and stressing over retirement plans. I'm not ready for this to be the phase of life I'm in. I don't want to be this grown-up!

Young people, enjoy your youth as long as you can. Stop calling yourself fat because you're probably a size four and you'll never look this good again. Get out there and enjoy that smooth, firm skin while you can, because pretty soon it is going to start sagging and drooping in a really depressing way. Before you know it you'll realize that the person you thought was so old is actually your reflection in the mirror. And for gosh-sakes go put on some sunscreen while there's still time!

Comments

Popular Posts